Wipes: Preparing for Extinction?

wet wipe moist clog flush ban sewer

That’s right – “Flushable Moist Wipes” may soon be a thing of the past. The Council of the District of Columbia is considering a ban on the sale and advertising of these wipes and, if passed, will out rule the product city wide. As we know, a large majority of these wipes don’t actually break down in sewage systems and have led to some pretty incredibly disastrous problems…think sewage clogs, floods, and burst pipes in large cities like London, New York, Sydney, etc.

Skeptics and moist-wipe supporters are fighting back, stating that only 2% of the clogs from these disasters came from moist wipes and the other 98% is from baby wipes (and other wipes not marketed as flushable), paper towels, trash and plastic particles. They also point fingers at lawmakers saying that if this ban is passed it’s a direct violation of their freedom of speech to advertise the product and that it won’t actually fix the problem.

Want more? Read the article here.

Comments are closed.